Once There was a Red Hill

A digital rendering of what McHeath’s Tavern would’ve looked like.

Imagine a time when there was no “Barnwell.” In the early 1700’s there was only a place known as “The Red Hill,” about two miles north of where Turkey Creek flows into the Saltketchers River. A natural spring, known locally as White Oak Spring was located below Red Hill, near the creek. Travelers from the low country to Galphin’s trading post on the Savannah River stopped by McHeath’s tavern to refresh themselves and resupply. Through the years the narrow ancient Native American paths had gradually widened to accommodate horses and mules laden with furs to be traded. Wagons filled with supplies utilized these primitive roadways as well.

Over time, many of these paths have been transformed into the modern paved highways we use today. If one knows where to look, there are a few places where traces of the old roadbeds can still be seen. Often, these long forgotten pathways are located close to their modern counterparts—perhaps where the old path was straightened out, or near an old creek or river crossing.

Loading Google reviews…