The Police Station Historical Marker commemorates Barnwell’s historic octagonal police station, originally built in 1944 as a guard house at a World War II German prisoner-of-war camp. After the war, the building was moved to the town circle and served as Barnwell’s police station, later becoming a preserved piece of local history.


This Historical Site Marker Reads
Built by Charles C “Carl” Cheek in early 1944 with the assistance of German Prisoners of War who helped draw up the plan and worked on the construction.
This police station was first used as a guard house at the prisoner of war camp where the Allendale and Barnwell Counties Disabilities and Special Needs Board is Now Located at the Corner of Hagood and Park Street.
After the War when the camp was dismantled, the building was moved to the circle to serve as a police station. Many “interesting” conversations took place between senator Edgar Brown and Speaker of the House Solomon Blatt while sitting on the bench in front of the station.
The old Barnwell Police Station was Given to the Barnwell County Museum in Memory of the Ashley Twins, Clarice and Ethel, by their sister, Carrie Gene Ashley.